I received this product from Wilton Armetale to facilitate this review. All opinions are 100% my own. Now for the giveaway: Five people will have a chance to win a Flutes & Pearls Heart Dish from Wilton Armetale. (arv: $40 each for a combined total of $200). This giveaway will end February 24, 2015. Open to US residents 18+ only. Sweet Ramblings is part of this multi-blogger giveaway, but is not responsible for shipping to the winners. We wish you a Happy Valentine’s Day. Blessings!
Flutes & Pearls Heart Dish is perfect for your favorite Valentine’s Day recipe. This dish is so pretty, and very versatile in the kitchen. They can go from freezer to oven to tabletop to fridge. This is not a dishwasher safe dish, but it’s so easy to hand wash. I use a mild dish soap and soft dish cloth, and it comes out sparkling clean each time. There are so many choices of recipes to cook with this dish, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks or desserts. This is a gorgeous dish for Valentine’s Day use, or anytime of year. Make a sweet treat for your family, or cook up a simple recipe for a romantic evening with your spouse. I can also make a display using this dish filled with Valentine’s candy. A decorative way to serve guests and family. Wilton Armetale has a beautiful array of products to choose from.
Get more details about the Flutes & Pearls Heart Dish from Wilton Armetale.
Today, I’m going to share with you a tasty recipe! Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Icing, so pull up a seat, pour yourself a cold glass of sweet milk, and let’s eat!
Red Velvet Cake
from Favorite Recipes of Home Economics Teachers, Desserts Edition, 1963.
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 scant teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Prepare three (8-inch) cake pans with nonstick baking spray or by thoroughly greasing and flouring. Set aside.
- Cream together vegetable shortening, sugar and eggs. Make a paste of food coloring and cocoa powder and add to the mixture. Add salt and flour with buttermilk and vanilla. Alternately add soda and vinegar; just blend, don’t beat hard.
- Evenly distribute into cake pans and bake 25-30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake thoroughly before frosting.
- For this recipe: I am using about 1/4 portion of the batter to fill my heart shaped pan, and the rest of the batter will be used to make cupcakes.
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- Cream cream cheese with an electric mixer.
- Add in butter and cream together with cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add in confectioner’s sugar until well-combined.
- Add in vanilla and cream until well-blended, light and fluffy.
- I added red candy sprinkles for a finishing touch!